Sunday, November 01, 2009

Help, I haven't fallen but I don't want to get up!

Well, friends, it's the beginning of November. The weather is pretty decent the past couple of days. Not that crappy weather has slowed things down either. October and November are proving to be the most exhausting months for our family this year.

I guess it kind of started a month ago when a fellow employee of Carla's at the gas station had some health problems and has been off work. The other workers are picking up the extra shifts, which means mostly Carla because she's the only part-timer with the time to take extra shifts. We're happy for the extra money but since she already has a second job she's pretty much working full-time now.

That leaves me with the kids a lot more which has presented some issues. We recently added to our livestock. A few weeks ago we got ourselves a miniature goat. It's a cute little African Pygmy nanny, about three or four years old and really just a pet (for now). Last week at an exotic livestock auction we bought 16 layer hens and two Dexter miniature cows (not too small, about 3/4 size I'd say). We're milking one of the Dexters, too. That's twice a day, around 9am and 5pm. They've been a bit nervous so I've tried to avoid having the boys around when I'm working with them. I almost got my nose broken a couple of days ago when one of the cows hit a steel gate and the top bar hit me in the nose where my glasses sit. There was some blood but it turned out alright. Carla was there luckily and checked me out. I held a tissue on the cut while one nostril bled for a while, then I got back to milking. But as you can see it's sometimes better if the kids are off playing by themselves while I work with the cows.

At the same time as dealing with our new animals, I've been trying to get my other work done as well as get in some work for our neighbor. That's mostly been hauling bales with the semi, cleaning out some barns with the skidsteer, or helping with cattle. I had my mom out to watch the kids on Saturday so I could finally do some of my own corral cleaning. Today they rode around with me while I fixed some fences. Carla's home most of the day tomorrow so I hope to be back in the skidsteer cleaning corrals and barns again, both mine and the neighbor's. At least it's dried out a bit. One day last week I had to give up cleaning barns at the neighbors because even the skidsteer couldn't get around after some rain and snow made the ground too sloppy.

Homeschooling has been kinda getting put aside more often so we can get work done. I had kind of expected this, though, which is why I started early (August 17 I think). I briefly entertained the thought of having some to do in the semi since it has a big sleeper cab but two of the three boys spend most of their time up front fighting over who sits in the passenger seat while the other is quietly sitting in the back watching the portable DVD player. There wouldn't be much hope of getting much work done if I brought school work along. I was happy to get peace and quiet, rare as that was. But once winter sets in and all I have to do is feed and milk cows I hope to catch up. I think in the grand scheme of things I'm not too far behind. I even got an hour or so in with Mitchell today after lunch. Having seen a copy of the Chaplin School newsletter we found he's keeping pace in Math which was a relief as that's what gave us the most problems earlier. As November is here I'm going to try and get something together for Remembrance Day so the boys can learn a bit about what it means. It's an important day to me and I hope it will be for them, too. So still plenty of work to do!

As the old saying goes, you can rest when you're dead. :)

3 comments:

TEFL Ninja said...

You don't have any ideas on how to build a house for chicken do you ? all the pre fabs I have seen cost a bomb. But I don't want cold or cramped chickies either !

Am very jealous of your miniature goat. However the zoo is big enough LOL

Carla said...

Hi, Sarah. I must admit I'm a poor carpenter. My wife is much better than I am, so she's the brains and I'm the brawn when it comes to construction. We cheated a bit on our chicken house and adapted a prefab calf shelter that we no longer needed for calves. It's about 6x16 with an partially open front. So we basically just covered up the front with plywood, and a small door and put a chicken-wire wall down the middle, with one half for the chickens and the other half for the goat. There's a little gate between the sides for us to get into the chicken side for feeding, etc. Being originally for calves it's a little short but it works. :)

Glad things are going better!

TEFL Ninja said...

You've made me feel much better ( : I think I am going to buy a normal shed and get next door neighbour to concert it for me, will cost a fraction of the posh chicken houses.

I will not fall in love with the chickens and give them names.

I think we are fit to go for it.