Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Great Indoors

Anyone else out there think spending time outside is overrated? I'm just not a fan of hanging around on a patio or going for a walk. Maybe it helps if I'm doing something else while I'm outside. But add some heat and you can count me out. Maybe that's what really turns me off. Once the temperature gets into the mid-20s I really start to feel it. Am I just getting old?

I think the main reason I don't appreciate playing outside is because I work outside. Yeah, I often spend hours on end in a nice air-conditioned tractor cab, but I also use older equipment that breaks down often enough. Then I find myself greasy and sweaty and tired. When I get home finally the last place I want to be is outside again. I want to get cleaned up, get a cool drink and crash on the couch in front of the TV.

When I was talking to my neighbor about this once he said he's the exact same way. His wife would ask him to come on out to their deck for a while and he'd say "I just spent the day outside. Why would I want to sit out there?" It makes me wonder if I worked all day in an office if I'd appreciate the outdoors more.

Usually once a year I find myself moving equipment between fields and having to walk a mile back to the truck. And the past two years that day has been 37 degrees Celcius with a strong wind. It was like walking in a convection oven. I almost drained my water bottle by the time I got back to the truck 20 minutes later. People do this for fun?

No, thanks I'm going to stay on the couch with my iced tea!

1 comment:

Niqi said...

yes my husband works inside and this summer he made an outdoor office so that he could enjoy the outdoors. We do have lots of shade trees though so it is nice to be outside. When it is too hot I hate being outdoors because the heat gives me headaches.

My brother and cousins used to help out on my grandparent's farm and they'd always complain of the heat too. I think those farm machines radiate heat too, just adding to the misery. LOL