Friday, July 07, 2006

Swimming Lessons

Mitchell just completed a week of swimming lessons, through the Red Cross. He was in the Sea Turtle level, one of 8 swimmers in the 3-4 yr age group. The first day, Monday, they had the entire 8 swimmers in one grouping, but the lifeguard/instructor realized she could not teach all 8 swimmers at the same time, while offering sufficient one-on-one instruction. Starting Tuesday, the group was split into 2 sessions, with Mitchell in the 11am session, along with 3 of his preschool classmates.

Monday was interesting, he clung onto Laura (instructor) for 15 of the 30min class!! He was terrified of the pool, since he's never had much experience in it. (with 13mo old twins, there isn't much time in a day for personal enjoyment, especially at a pool!) But he did good, considering.

Today was the last day of lessons, but he did not pass the Sea Turtle level. I'm not disappointed, as I was quite sure he wouldn't last one day of lessons. He has to practise getting his face wet (he hates this even in the bathtub) as well as his kicking. But for a kid that's never had any pool experience, I'd say he did quite well.

There is another session next week, and one more week of lessons beginning of August. I'll be registering him for lessons again, but I'm not sure when. Next week might be too soon, but then August might be too late, he'll have forgotten everything.

We have not purchased a season pass at the pool. The 'locals' are not being allowed to purchase daily swim passes, they must purchase a full-season pass if they wish to swim at the pool. Apparently the swimming pool board is trying to encourage the 'locals' to support the pool by purchasing a season pass. Well, this is not sitting well with the 'locals'. Many residents are very angry that visitors to our town can swim with a daily pass, while we cannot. As a result, very few local residents are swimming, which results in decreased income.

I cannot justify the $150 season pass fee, when I know I would not be swimming enough to pay for the fee. With 13mo old twins and a 4yr old, which child/ren do I swim with and which child/ren do I ignore? David is busy in the field most of the summer, so if he's home, that means weather is bad, and we won't be swimming. If weather is good for swimming, that means weather is good to be in the field.

So, for now, Mitchell gets to swim during lessons. It's unfortunate he won't get to practise what he's learned this week, but until the rules change at the pool, I just can't justify the extra cost.

Okay, enough rant :)


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Glad to hear that he made it through. We are signng the boys up for lessons in the fall at the YMCA. We have to get them lessons since we live so close to the ocean and the lake. There is just no excuse - it's a safety issue. I think we will do the Parent/child with the twins since they go crazy even when we take them in the little pool at home! I hear you about the fee at the pool! It is ridiculous. My mom and her husband run a farm. He has been a farmer all his life and I know what kind of schedule they both have right now. I haven't heard from them in a month now!